Friday, October 8, 2010

Beggars all around


How will they define life if some one ask them what it mean for them?Are they happy with the so called life? Always these questions came to my mind whenever I see beggars in the city. They can be find mainly in railway stations and bus stops, which are the crowded places and also near the shopping malls.

For many beggars Railway stations are their home. If one passes by Chetpet railway station after eight o' clock in the night, one can see the third and fourth platform crowded with beggars--busy with their works in their own world - some would be having a chat with friends and some cooking food and some others simply lying down and gazing the sky above... They don't care what is going around them...

The authorities had declared certain laws in the city to rehabilitate the beggars and to make Chennai a beggar free city. According to the new rules so many beggars were disappeared from the city but it was for a few days.'On that particular week, there was a great decrease in the number of beggars coming to beg money but after some time their number increased,' this is what some shop keepers said about the issue.

Whenever I see them, I always feel pity seeing their face always gloomy, but when I asked one beggar 'Are you happy with this life' he just smiled and said,I am getting money to have food every day, am happy with that. Another vendor family who stays in Saidapet station also gave me the same answer. 'We are not begging, we are selling veggies and fruits to earn a living and we are satisfied with that'.But they have dream to have a small house of their own,which one day will come true they hope...

It seems there are some rich beggars also in the city.. Let me share one of the story that I experienced. It was a Saturday morning and I was sitting in Saidapet railway station to catch a train to Guindy to meet one of my friend. Since it was so early, may be around 615, there was no one expect me in the station. After some time a beggar woman came near and asked me to give her money for tea.She was literally begging me saying "please ma..give me money for tea.. please ma..." I did not have any coins but on seeing her face, I searched my bag, which gave her some hope I think..Finally I said, "I have no coins, just 500 rupees is there." She replied: "OK ma give that I will give you change for the money" BLOODY HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got a shock... The lady who told me who doesn't have money for tea now have enough to give back the change for Rs 500. I started scolding her like anything in whatever Tamil I know and she also said something back and left the place.

One thing I understood about them is though we feel that they have a horrible life without even a proper stay, they are happy with their life and there are some among the group who are richer than people like me! :D

No comments: