Sunday, September 19, 2010

First days at Chennai


'Chennai- one of the metropolitan cities of India.' this is what I knew about the place when I got a job in the city.Gradually I got chances to know each and every heartbeat of the city as well as the lives.

First I would say about the inmates here..I have seen lots of pretty faces as well as the weird ones .. both of them gave me astonishment... As one part of the generation is having a grand life the other part is struggling to make their ends meet. Chennai showed me the extreme opposites lives.. It showed me the amazing lifestyle of the people on one end and the people who are starving for bread on the other end.. Some have luxurious houses and cars and for some the railway station platforms are their heaven.

Once I got a chance to visit to an IT firm, which was in Thiruvanmiyur, (the place is an IT hub). When I reached there, for a second I was confused about where am I ? Is this also a part of Chennai? It was just amazing!!!!Chennaities can be proud of themselves.

The very next week after this visit, I went to Pallavan nagar Slum as part of my assignment.. and the scene of the slum... Words are not enough to explain the life of the people there..Dwellings near the dirty and stinky Coovam river gave me a shock! This is also another face of Chennai..One can see such slums even near the marina beach also. The beauty of Marina
will make one say Wow...wonderful! and the sight of slum near the Beach.. Oops.. My God!

Hmm.. fine will move to the second one- the city!
Chennai has got world second longest street: Mint street of Sowcarpet. India's best eye hospital is in Chennai only: Sankara Nethralaya. Marina is the second largest beach in the world (no credible evidence). You know which is Asia's biggest bus terminal? It is also in Chennai- CMBT(37 acres). And it is the city with maximum temples.

Other than that the city has got lots of Shopping malls (Just like the other cities) and more new malls are coming day by day, and movie theatres,and lots of parks.. another interesting part about Chennai is that even the people who born and brought up here don't know all places in the city,so it is full of fun to travel in the city...

And forget about another thing..about the auto drivers.. Though the autos have the meter, they are not supposed to use it (By the law made by auto drivers for the auto drivers), and the charge of the auto depends on You-the traveler-- If you can manage tamil very well, you can bargain with them and can reach in a conclusion of affordable rate for the ride,otherwise no way!
yeah.. thats it about Chennai! :)


No comments: